Seven more victims of the ill-fated Abuja-Kaduna train have regain their freedom after spending over three months in captivity.
Nigerianews.org.ng reports that the terrorists bombed the train on March 28, killing at least nine passengers and abducting over 100 others.
Those that were released on Saturday include Bosede Olurotimi, Abubakar Zubairu, Alhassan Sule and Sadiq Ango Abdullahi.
Others are Muhammad Daiyabu Paki, Aliyu Usman and a foreign national of Pakistani origin, Muhammad Abuzar Afzal.
Tukur Mamu, who had earlier negotiated the release of 11 of the victims, confirmed the release of seven of the victims to journalists in Kaduna.
He said success of Saturday’s historic release had vindicated his principal, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, who advocates non-kinetic approach to solving insecurity.
He said, “I want to assure the nation that everything that was achieved today was single-handedly initiated and arranged by me with the full support and prayers of my principal, Sheikh Gumi. That is why I keep emphasising that government has the power to end the agony of this innocent victims in one day.
This is just one individual that sacrifices his life and even integrity. There is no military solution to the current security debacle in Nigeria. When you sincerely engage them this guys even though wicked with misguided religious beliefs, they are listening.
“I have sufficient evidence to prove that they do listen. It is this power of engagement and sincerity that resulted to the release of this seven victims.
“In whatever I do I don’t need or require any reward from anybody but from Allah but I hope the nation we sacrificed our lives for will recognize us.
“The 7 rescued victims have been handed over to the military and are now on their way to Kaduna. I thank the Kaduna military GOC for the support he gave during the rescue mission.
The location they (abductors) gave is remote, sensitive and risky. There was a military checkpoint before penetrating the forest. My team was stopped by the soldiers but when they told the military our mission they contacted the GOC and he immediately gave approval for them to proceed. And after the victims were successfully evacuated, travelling through over 40 kilometers in the forest, they were given a military escort back to Kaduna at the checkpoint.
“Despite the poor medical condition of many of the rescued victims, those that took over are unnecessarily wasting their time in a military unit on the outskirts of Kaduna. I advise that authorities should hasten effort to take them to a medical facility for urgent evaluation.
Money cannot achieve what I have achieved today, the 7 rescued victims are in the best position to confirm this. And I will never involved myself on any issue that has to do with money.
“I am also under serious watch. I am sure if they have evidence against me I cannot be talking freely the manner I used to do.
“However, this is no time for blame game. We must come together as a nation to confront our challenges. I pray and hope that government will learn a lot of lessons in the development of today. We thank Allah that He uses us to make many happy.
“I’m pleading with the families of the remaining victims to actively engage government to secure the release of their loved ones. I will not be involved in such a risky mission again,” he added.