Ibadan, one of the three biggest cities in Africa, is home to the University of Ibadan (UI), the oldest and most esteemed university in Nigeria. It has acquired distinction in a number of fields and continues to play a significant role in the growth of research in Africa.
With effect from September 13, 2022, the position of University Librarian of the University of Ibadan in Ibadan, Nigeria, will become vacant. Therefore, we are seeking applications from eligible individuals for the following position:
The Chief Library Manager of the University’s Library System, which consists of the following, is the University Librarian, a Principal Officer of the University:
- A main Library (Kenneth Dike Library)
- College of Medicine Library (E.Latunde Odeku Library)
- 15 Faculties’ Libraries
- Two Institutes’ Libraries
- Centres’ Libraries.
- A strong undergraduate degree in any field, a master’s degree in library information studies from an accredited institution, and a doctorate in a related field are requirements for the position of university librarian.
- A candidate must have proof of membership in professional organizations for librarians as well as registration with the Librarian Registration Council of Nigeria (LRCN), the body responsible for regulating the practice of librarianship in Nigeria, in addition to academic and professional qualifications.
- Equally crucial is the candidate’s ability to demonstrate consistent scholarship and knowledge advancement through publications in respectable peer-reviewed journals both domestically and abroad.
- Above all, the candidate must have strong administrative abilities, including an awareness of the nature, dynamics, and complexities of using information technology as management tools for information collections in line with international best practices in modern university libraries.
- The prospective candidate must have put a minimum of fifteen (15) years of cognate work experience into the university library(ies).
- Five (5) of these years must have been a library management position.
- A candidate occupying a position lower than that of a Deputy University Librarian need not apply.
- Furthermore, the candidate should not be more than 65 years old by the date of possible assumption of office.
- Pay and Working Conditions
- The pay scale and other terms of employment that apply to the position of UNIVERSITY LIBRARIAN at all Nigerian Federal Universities, as well as any other conditions that may be periodically decided by the University Governing Council.
- The chosen applicant will occupy the position for five (5) years.
- However, in accordance with the current law, the appointment may be renewed for a maximum of one (1) year if satisfactory performance is maintained.
- A pension plan that is in line with the Contributory Pension Plan and relevant allowances that may occasionally be granted by the Government or University Council are included in fringe beneficiary
How To Apply
Candidates who are qualified should send their applications and thirty (30) copies of a thorough curriculum vitae together with the following information:
- Full names (surname first)
- Date of Birth (not age)
- Marital Status
- State of Origin
- Postal / Email Address
- Full Qualifications with Dates
- Work Experience(s)
- Names and Addresses of three (3) Referees.
- They should also forward thirty (30) copies in not more than a page, a statement of their vision and mission for the Library of a mature University along with thirty (30) Photostat copies of each of their certificates.
Applications should be forwarded to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
University of Ibadan,
Ibadan, Oyo State.
All applications must be submitted in sealed envelopes with the words “POST OF UNIVERSITY LIBRARIAN UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN” on the outside.
Candidates are urged to ask their referees to write confidential evaluations of them on letterhead to the University of Ibadan’s Registrar and Secretary to Council, who can provide further information.
Only shortlisted candidates will receive an interview invitation.